When I think of MONOPOLY, I remember the hundred or so times my younger sister beat me at the board game. She just had incredible luck of the dice or made shrewd purchasing decisions, either way, she was a legend at the game. I was better at other Hasbro games like Cluedo, Guess Who?, Jenga and Operation. How I miss those days, spending endless hours playing games as children. I still love board games, but until Paige and Ethan are old enough, I will have to get my mom and older sister around the table for a game. My younger sister may, or may not, be invited…
Back to MONOPOLY. They have some exciting news after they asked fans across the globe to vote on their favourite tokens. From 64 possible options, and after an incredible 4.3 million votes, the top eight tokens were picked for the next generation of the MONOPOLY game. The tokens set to “pass GO” in the next generation of the MONOPOLY game are the Scottie dog, top hat, car, battleship, cat, T-rex, rubber ducky, and penguin tokens.
Next generation MONOPOLY tokens
- Scottie Dog Token: The best friend of Mr. MONOPOLY since the 1950s, the Scottie Dog token proved its popularity by receiving the most votes – making it the overall first place winner.
- T-Rex Token: The mighty T-Rex token stomped its way into the new game, garnering the second most overall votes and making history as the first dinosaur token of Mr. MONOPOLY.
- Top Hat Token: Coming in third place in overall votes, the Top Hat token – a staple in the game since 1935 – will keep Mr. MONOPOLY looking dapper well into the future.
- Car Token: This 1930s roadster will continue fueling adrenaline rushes for Mr. MONOPOLY in the next generation of the game; coming in fourth place in overall votes.
- Rubber Ducky Token: Coming in fifth in overall votes, the new Rubber Ducky token is truly all its “quacked” up to be.
- Cat Token: Fans voted the Cat token into the game in 2013, and she clawed her way back in as one of the eight winning tokens, coming in sixth place in overall votes.
- Penguin Token: Waddling into the game in seventh place in overall votes, the Penguin token is the new style muse for Mr. MONOPOLY.
- Battleship Token: The beloved Battleship token represents the first round-the-world trip for Mr. MONOPOLY; securing the eighth spot in overall votes, this token’s legacy will cruise into the next generation of the game.
So long MONOPOLY tokens
While the Scottie dog, top hat, car, cat, and battleship tokens can breathe a sigh of relief, the iconic thimble, boot, and wheelbarrow tokens didn’t make the cut. Instead, they’re planning to take some time off and will not be part of the next generation of the MONOPOLY game.
- ‘Sew’ long, Thimble: The lucky Thimble token is down on its luck. With just over 81,000 votes, this token will be left out of the next generation of the game after more than 80 years.
- The Boot gets booted: Mr. MONOPOLY needs a new pair of kicks, because the once popular boot token – modeled after the working shoe of the 1930s – received just over 83,000 votes, and was ultimately booted from the game.
- Bye, bye Wheelbarrow: The wheelbarrow token, a staple in the game since the 1950s, will wheel no more. With just over 60,000 votes, this historic token was voted out of the next generation of the game.
The next generation of the MONOPOLY game will be available for purchase this August. Until then, you can play the MONOPOLY Token Madness edition or localised MONOPOLY Mzansi edition available at your nearest retailer.
This is not a sponsored post. The information and a copy of the MONOPOLY Token Madness edition was given to me by Hasbro South Africa.