I don’t usually post recipes but lately deciding on what to cook for dinner, let alone getting to the shops to buy the ingredients or make it, has become a chore for me. With a new baby in the house and a fussy toddler, I’m not loving food right now. That is why my mom’s recipe is a must have and is cheap, quick and easy to make. You can add a variety of fillings and I usually make a spinach and feta quiche, but this time I also added bacon and mushroom which I had in the fridge. Asparagus (tinned or fresh) is another nice filling choice.
This quiche is an easy family dinner or a lunch meal for when friends and family come round. Serve with a salad and you can also make ahead, freeze and defrost when needed. My mom bought me this Pyrex dish from Pick ‘n Pay as I didn’t have one – she’s a star!
- 1 large cup or mug of self raising flour (depending on dish size)
- Third cup of sunflower oil and milk added to make it to half
- Pinch salt
- If mixture is too dry or soft just add a bit extra of flour or oil
- Bunch of spinach, washed, chopped fine and cooked
- Feta (at least 1 ring or more if you desire)
3 beaten eggs and add a little milk until a third of a cup
- Salt and pepper
- Mix pastry ingredients together to form a soft ball
- Press the pastry into a greased dish with your fingers
- Pour in the filling
- Sprinkle some grated cheese and cayenne pepper on top (optional)
- Bake in oven at 180°C for approx. 20 to 30 mins